Team Leader, Daycare
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN WEST VANCOUVER
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Manager, Child & Family Daycare Centres. As a Licensed Early Childhood Educator (ECE) the purpose of this senior generalist position is to coordinate, lead, plan and administer culturally appropriate preschool programs. The incumbent will act as a main point of contact for parents, and ensures the well-being of families and children by managing and implementing programs conducive to early childhood education and development. The position will also support ECEs as back up to breaks/absences, and provides hands-on support in a child care setting, The Daycare programs are designed to meet the varying needs of children and parents in the community. This position is responsible to oversee the daily program and coordinate the support needs and services for the Daycare.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitates Daycare services at Ayás Mén̓men Child and Family Services.
- Supervises staff.
- Ensures that accurate program and client records are maintained by Early Childhood Educators (ECEs).
- Assists Manager, Family Centres with administrative tasks as required.
- Develops and Implement approved curriculum.
- Provides reports on children’s progress.
- Maintains open and positive communication with by Early Childhood Educators (ECEs) as well as parents.
- Builds relationships, promotes program awareness and represents department.
- Provides hands-on support in a child care setting to ensure effective inclusion of children with developmental delays.
- Supervises the Health and Safety of Employees and adheres to workplace health and safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Ayás Mén̓men Child and Family Services team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Early Childhood Educator Certificate with a Post Basic Special Needs Certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Bachelor’s degree (may be willing to consider Diploma) in specializing in social services, early child development, mental health, child and youth care, or other relevant/related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Special Needs and Infant Toddler Certificate is an asset.
- 4 - 5 years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including aboriginal social issues, case management, social work/social welfare, family studies, infant mental health, early childhood development, and/or special education.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to supervision, case management, infant mental health, early childhood development, and disabilities etc.
- Must have experience working with children with development and delays or disabilities.
- Must have knowledge of family centre practice.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system.
- Beginner Squamish language (Skwxwú7mesh Snichim) fluency is an asset.
- Experience as an intermediate user of MS Office, the Internet, etc.
- Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience using Nucleus Data Base systems preferred.
- Experience working in a First Nations environment is preferred.
- Must have valid CPR/First Aid certificate.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company policy.
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider an ECE certificate and 7 + years of directly related experience in a Daycare Centre/Preschool setting.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting & are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $55,681 to $65,507 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits program.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!