PERMANENT FULL-TIME/TERM/ON-CALL POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
- Great opportunity for a Teacher to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Teacher to join our dynamic and progressive team in North Vancouver.
The purpose of this position is to plan for, deliver and monitor individualized educational services for Squamish community members that adhere to the philosophy, goals and mission statement of Xwemel’ch’stn Etsímxwawtxw. The incumbent is expected to operate with the highest level of confidentiality and must be an expert in implementing elementary education that incorporates current, research-based strategies and programs across the disciplines for the Squamish Nation. Allowing for future growth, the incumbent may be required to teach other primary/intermediate grades. Incumbent uses student focused approach, may co-teach &/or teach K through grade 2 at different times throughout the school year, requiring flexibility and team work.
Other responsibilities include:
- Plans and delivers Primary classes.
- Keeps attendance and monitors children.
- Teaches life skills.
- Plans class field trips, events and parties.
- Assists Principal as required.
- Works cooperatively with school and Primary teaching team daily and annually.
- Work with School and Nation staff to introduce immersion curriculum in to the daily classroom.
- Work with School and Nation staff to develop and implement a discovery based curriculum.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Capilano Little Ones and Education, Employment & Training Team.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education or relevant/related degree from a recognized post-secondary institution and possession of a Valid BC Teaching Certificate
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to grade one classroom management, Squamish language, First Nation’s child development, curriculum development and language immersion.
- Within set timeframe, incumbent will be required to learn, speak and deliver introductory words/phrases in the Squamish language within curriculum. As well as be expected to learn and further broaden Squamish Nation culture & language knowledge within set timeframe.
- Experience working with both special needs and gifted children is an asset.
- Beginner Squamish language (Skwxwú7mesh Snichim) fluency is preferredd.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Experience as an intermediate level user MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Membership in the BC College of Teachers.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- A valid Emergency First Aid & CPR – Industry certificate is preferred, however, willing to accept incumbent who will obtain within set timeframe.
- Valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5 is preferred. Class 7N may be considered.
- Reliable vehicle and current auto insurance is preferred.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May consider a job share.
- May be willing to consider provincial instructor’s diploma and language certificate/ diploma, with relevant experience working with / teaching children in a school setting. A letter of permission will be required.
If you are a skilled communicator and a friendly and dedicated professional this could be an ideal opportunity for you, candidates must apply online.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.