Elder Worker & Driver
PERMANENT FULL- TIME/PART-TIME POSITION IN SQUAMISH, BC
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This position must be professionally prepared as a driver and must be able to meet the requirements of the BC Driver’s Licensing agency. The incumbent is sensitive and mature with the ability to relate well to elders. This position is responsible for driving the 15 passenger van, providing reliable transportation, building and maintaining relationships with elders, communicating daily with elders, and assisting with elder programming at the Elders Centre. The incumbent provides transportation to and from medical appointments, elder’s personal appointments, shopping, etc. The position works with elders, providing support through companionship, programming and activities. The position also assists the coordinator with facility set-up/coordination/tear down, general maintenance of elders space throughout events, clean up and liaising/interacting with guests/attendees.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Transports passengers safely in a 15 passenger van. Picks passengers up promptly at the specified time, keeps organized records of changes in routes, pick up/off times, etc., maintains order/safety on the fleet and provides a yearly drivers abstract.
- Presents a responsible, positive and professional image. Communicates with elders using appropriate language, treats elders courteously, follows procedure, maintains confidentiality, etc.
- Provides support, companionship and acts as a liaison for elders, providing one-on-one visits as required.
- Assists with and instructs programming, activities, trips, special events, etc. for elders.
- Performs admin tasks including, maintenance of petty cash, completing required records, achieving quality control/goals/efficiency rates, keeping track of mileage, etc.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Elders Program and Admin teams.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Certificate in Health, Recreation and/or Gerontology is an asset.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to ICBC regulations, safe transportation, chaperone training, working with seniors, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years of safe driving, as verified by ICBC Driving Record check.
- Physically fit and mobile to maneuver a wheelchair.
- Previous experience working with seniors as an Activity Aide is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 Unrestricted.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance (for the purpose of getting to work).
- Must have a valid Emergency First Aid & CPR Certificate, or be willing to obtain in set timeframe.
- ICBC Driving Records Form required (relating to driving history).
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation policy.
For Permanent Full-time the position will require up to 40 hours a week – Fulltime
For Permanent Part-time the position will require up to 24 hours a week – Fulltime.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting & are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $33,054 to $38,887 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.