Income Assistance Officer
CASUAL/SCHOOL TERM POSITION IN WEST VANCOUVER
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This position is responsible for working one-on-one with clients to determine eligibility for Income Assistance. With an advanced knowledge of available funding, education and training sources (particularly those programs offered through the Employment Centre) this position assists clients to improve their financial and occupational situations. The incumbent is responsible for a complex caseload i.e. single parents, disability level 1 (PPMB), disability level 2 (PWD), etc. Acts as a right hand to Team Leader, assisting with scheduling and team training as necessary.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receives income assistance applications, conducts interviews, informs clients of services and resources available, completes referrals and manages a complex caseload of 75-100 +/- clients.
- Reviews applications and issues income assistance benefits.
- Manages Ta7lnew̓ás Education, Employment and Training Department file administration.
- Works in partnership with the Employment Centre, referring clients to seek employment and/or enroll in educational programs. Stays current regarding programs and employment opportunities and supports clients with applications.
- Interprets and explains Squamish Nation and Government policy and procedures for clients. Forwards complex questions or situations to Team Leader.
- Assists clients with Medical Services Plan (MSP) application process. Issues payment for MSP and Extended Health bills for approved applicants.
- Maintains accurate and current files/records and inputs data into the Squamish Nation database.
- Fields high-level complaints and inquiries, advises team regarding decisions and coaches other IA Officers by answering questions and explaining issues/process.
- Contributes to monitoring and controlling budget programs. Identifies and reports expected budget variances within area of responsibility, projects needs and provides explanations and resolutions to Team Leader.
- Contributes to the development of long-range plans and goals for the Income Assistance Program.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Ta7lnew̓ás Education, Employment and Training team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Diploma in Social Services, Career Counselling, Business or relevant/related field from a recognized from post-secondary institution.
- 4 - 5 years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including income/employment assistance programs, caseload management, client intake/assessments, forms management, administration/coordination, data entry, tracking numbers on spreadsheets, career counsellor, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to income/employment assistance programs, caseload management, client intake/assessments, forms management, administration/coordination, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate level user of Internet, MS Office Applications – Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working in a First Nations environment is preferred.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a Certificate plus 7 years of demonstrated directly-related experience as an Income Assistance Officer.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting & are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $43,995 to $ 51,758 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!