Recreation and Youth Program Facilitator
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
Due to COVID 19, the start date for the position will be determined thru Provincial Health Guidance.
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation & Community Facilities, this position participates as a part of the indoor/outdoor programs team within the North Vancouver Recreation & Community Facilities Department. The incumbent will develop implement and evaluate programs for youth in our community along with administering and delivering the programs to youth of all age groups via arts-based activities, health, well-being and cultural activities, outdoor education and sport/fitness activities. In conjunction with the larger department’s team is responsible for design, coordination and delivery on a full year of recreational events and programs, which encompasses a broad range of age groups and capabilities. The incumbent acts as a role model to Squamish Nation children and adults.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implements programs utilizing recreation program planning procedures.
- Responsible for all aspects of planning and delivering for the After School Program, Summer Fun Camp and Spring Break Camp.
- Assists with / coordinates production of event flyers and other promotional material.
- Assists program team with sport/fitness/recreation programs, as required.
- Promotes Squamish Nation indoor/outdoor recreation programs and activities.
- Assists with planning and coordination of seasonal, holiday and community events.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Yúustway Health and Wellness team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Diploma in Recreation Management, Sport Management, Physical Education, Outdoor Programs Management is preferred OR may consider Administration or related field from a recognized post-secondary institution OR may consider Provincial Instructors Diploma.
- 2 – 3 years directly related experience in the majority of duties listed in the job description including knowledge, skills and abilities relating to indoor/outdoor recreational /sports programming, admin/program coordination, supervisory skills, event co-ordination, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to outdoor/indoor programs, recreation management, supervisory skills, event co-ordination, responsible Adult certificate, supervisory skills, life skills, etc. High Five Certification and National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) will be required as career progresses.
- Valid Certificate in Level 2 First Aid and CPR. If does not possess must be willing to obtain within a set timeframe.
- Experience as an intermediate user of MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working in a First Nations environment is preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must have the ability to travel.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a valid unrestricted Class 4 BC Driver’s License or willing to obtain within a set timeframe.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company policy.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a Certificate plus 7 years of demonstrated directly-related experience.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting & are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Wage: $39,995 to $47,053 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.