Special Education Assistant
Permanent Full-Time School Term Position in North Vancouver, BC
Due to COVID 19, the start date for the position will be determined thru Provincial Health Guidance.
CLOSES: November 12, 2020
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish Nation community!
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Principal, Xwemelch'stn Etsimxwawtxw Capilano Little Ones, and under the direction of the Nursery and Primary Teachers, the Special Education Assistant is responsible for providing specialized teaching strategies, curriculum and physical or behavioural supports to students with designated special needs within the nursery and primary grades classroom.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works as part of a team to plan, implement and review the IEP.
- Works with children individually or in a small group Teaches life skills.
- Works cooperatively with kindergarten/primary teachers and school team daily and annually.
- Assists with maintenance of records related to student progress, including anecdotal reports to parents. Also in the administering, scoring & recording results of criterion referenced/teacher-made tests.
- Works cooperatively with classroom and school team daily and annually.
- Adheres to workplace health and safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Training and Trades Centre and Education, Employment and Training teams.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Ta7lnew̓ás Education, Employment and Training team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Certificate in Special Education, Special Needs and/or related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- 6 – 12 months of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including kindergarten/primary classrooms, early learning teaching or assisting, special needs, experience in child care role or as an early childhood educator, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, upgrading, training and courses relating to kindergarten/primary classroom management, Squamish language, special needs training, child development, etc.
- Knowledge of Squamish language (Skwxwú7mesh Snichim).
- Experience as a beginner level user of the Internet and Microsoft Office Applications.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5, 7N may be considered.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company policy.
- Must be willing to travel as required.
- Must provide a valid Criminal Records Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Wage: $40,955 to $48,182 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.