Squamish Language Teacher
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
Due to COVID 19, the start date for the position will be determined thru Provincial Health Guidance.
CLOSES: December 4,2020
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This position has a proficient command of Squamish language and is responsible for a full-time teaching schedule. The incumbent travels to public schools and other learning institutions to teach language classes. In addition to teaching duties, works with language team to achieve goals (e.g. develop Squamish language in the community) and to complete department tasks (maintain library).
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handles full-time teaching schedule.
- Evaluates students and provides reports.
- Establishes and adheres to timetable.
- Prepares teaching aids for use by team.
- Follows professional development plan.
- May mentor junior staff.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Language and Cultural Affairs team to achieve position and department goals.s.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or First Nations teaching studies from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Willing to consider a Certificate or Diploma in Squamish language teaching (beginner level - words & phrases - oral and written).
- 2 - 3 years or more of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in job description including acting as a teacher’s aide or substitute teacher for Squamish language classes (students - grades K to 12).
- As career progresses, may be required to upgrade in order to obtain BC Teaching Certificate or Classroom Management Certificate. May be required to obtain Provincial Instructor Diploma.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to classroom management, Squamish language, First Nation’s education studies, curriculum development, language immersion etc.
- Strong knowledge of Squamish Nation culture, traditions and heritage is preferred.
- Experience as an intermediate level user MS Office, the Internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working in a First Nations Community environment is prefer.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy..
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Wage: $ 50,682 - $ 59,625 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.